Tuesday, August 3, 2010

RagaMuffin Lampshades

I picked these lamps up (no before pic) from a sale for less than $1 each about 6 months ago. They were naked; white scratched ceramic and shadeless. They sat unloved in my garage until I found drum shades at Ross a few months later for $3 each. Then they got an ORB paint job and looked like this for a bit:

I couldn't take the plain white shades for very long and have been collecting thoughts, looking for ways to improve them...

Inspiration struck while reading Nester's blog! She recently posted this "Ragamuffin Bag" tutorial and I swooned at first sight.

I ran to my fabric stash and gathered up the first four or five fabrics I could get my hands on, with no cares about matching too closely. I was so excited to get started...I wanted an eclectic, bohemian look anyway- so it was all good.

Each shade took an average of an hour and a half to do...after layering and hot gluing the fabric strips to my liking...

I embellished the shades with feathers, jewels, trim, beads, pompoms, ribbon, yarn...pretty much a little bit of everything! I wanted them really full, shaggy and and fun...and I am SO happy with how they turned out...

Each lamp cost me less than $4 each since I used free glue-sticks (garage sale gimme) and fabric and embellishments I already had in my stash. The thick fringe trim around the top even came off of an ottoman I picked up while curb surfing one day...I knew I'd find a purpose for it :)

I'm linking up to these parties and sites:


Visit thecsiproject.com